Savvy Seniors Performances
Uncle Sam is here to help you
- This skit is a cafe discussion about the extra help available to Medicare Beneficiaries to cover Part D premiums and co-payments through the Social Security Administration – the Low Income Subsidy.
- “For a small fee, we’ll be happy to deposit this money into your bank account”, the caller states after informing Beverly that she’s just won the Irish Sweepstakes. Fortunately, Beverly does not have a bank account so she lost nothing, but most of us do! Do not give out personal information to someone/anyone who calls you on the telephone.
- While we all enjoy the benefits of email and the ability to keep in contact with friends and loved ones, so much of what we receive can lead to trouble. In this scene, a simple survey turns into a request for a credit card number….. Don’t give out personal information over the internet including credit card and bank account information.
- Many of us don’t understand or take the time to read bills that we receive in the mail. Medicare statements, doctor or hospital bills are no exception. However, in this skit you’ll soon discover why it is important to pay attention to these statements. Billing errors and fraud can often be detected merely by reading and comparing medical statements.
Free Motorized Wheel Chair
- “Medical Equipment like motorized wheelchair is never free” the husband exclaims! His wife just received a phone call from someone who wanted to send her a free wheelchair if she would just give them her medicare number. The husband advice is excellent…. never give out personal information to someone who telephones you. Durable Medical Equipment fraud is common! Work with your physician and a local, reputable provider to find suitable equipment.
- No one wants to learn that their care provider is stealing drugs from them, yet it happens! In Vermont, more than 40 investigations yearly are regarding prescription drug diversion (theft) by care providers and family members. In this skit, someone IS paying attention…. Take care of your drugs particularly narcotics! Count your pills and put them out of the sight of others.
Under One Roof
- Mrs. Flambay is approached at her home by a salesman, she thinks. She doesn’t sign the contract even though the salesman was persistent but she does contact a friend to talk about the visit. Salesman should not arrive at your home without invitation (it is an illegal practice) nor should you sign onto a contract without researching the company and fully deciding it is in your best interest.
No Wonder You’re Dizzy
- Most people are not aware of the interactions between prescription drugs, herbal remedies, diet, lotions and many other factors that can lead to more complicated physical conditions. In this role play, a person has been using and mis-using numerous types of drugs and herbal remedies that have caused them to have dizzy spells. Please talk to your doctor about your drugs, lifestyle and any accommodations that may need to be made. Don’t take other peoples pills and ask about proper disposal of expired medications.